Play Streets bring neighbours together by closing local streets to vehicles and opening them for play.
Check out the new City of Edmonton Neighbourhood Play Street How-to Guide for organizing your own play street event!
The City supports Play Streets through planning, operational and permitting support.
Benefits of a Neighbourhood Play Street
- Promote social interaction between neighbours of all ages
- Encourage the use of closed neighbourhood streets for safe, active play
- Provide additional public spaces in areas where parks or private yards are limited
- Encourage activities suited to road spaces such as bike riding, street hockey, chalk art, and scootering
- Promote diverse use of quiet roadways
- Increase sense of belonging to the community
- Encourage neighbours to look after each other and the neighbourhood
- Embolden children to play outside
- Promote safety and help prevent crime by knowing your neighbours and recognizing faces
- Have fun!